On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Ralf Stephan <gtrw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As you know Pynac provides symbolic computation. In earlier times
> this included polynomial manipulation and other things where Sage
> has now dedicated and consistent algebraic structures.

Can you clarify?  Sage had and used "dedicated and consistent
algebraic structures" for polynomial manipulation for many years
before Pynac even existed.

>  Pynac nowaday is mostly calculus.

Hasn't it always been mostly for calculus?

> For this reason, and because I'm tired of trying to fix
> things that belong in other parts of Sage I propose to make it an error
> to mix elements of rings with positive characteristics (or symbolic Mod)
> and symbolic variables.
>
> The error could also hint at a solution using the resp. polynomial rings.
>
> I don't think there is much interest in the mentioned feature atm, because
> the present behaviour IS already buggy, and no one complained.
> But maybe I'm completely wrong, please state your opinion.

I think I agree with you.  The argument "Pynac is mostly for calculus"
is sufficient.  It's designed entirely with characteristic 0 calculus
in mind...

William (http://wstein.org)