I just ran into a doc issue that has been bothering me for years: global
uniqueness of reference labels in Sphinx. For instance, in
sage.coding.code_construction, we have:

.. [HP] W. C. Huffman, V. Pless, Fundamentals of Error-Correcting
   Codes, Cambridge Univ. Press, 2003.

This means I cannot use [HP] as a reference label in another file, say
sage.coding.hamming_code. Writing "[HP]_" in doc-string globally in Sage
*should* generate a link to sage.coding.code_construction. It does in
fact give me a compilation error :-S

This seems to be the recommended way of doing it in Sphinx. Am I the
only one who thinks this is crazy? Can/should we do something about
this?

On a related note, the Developer's manual doesn't mention this problem,
or the fact that people should use ReST references (i.e. remember the
underscore), and that REFERENCES blocks should be at the top of the
module (and not in individual methods/functions). A quick grep showed
lots of recent code violating this convention.

Is this sort of mess the reason Sphinx is so terribly slow, I wonder...

Best,
Johan