Fri 2016-09-09 00:16:36 UTC+2, leif:

> The link to README.txt ("Be sure to read the file ..." [!])
>
>   http://www.sagemath.org/mirror/win/README.txt
>
> referenced in
>

> http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/binary.html#microsoft-windows
>
> gives a 404, for whatever reason.
>
> Besides that, the Sage wiki page [1] linked to from
> http://www.sagemath.org/download-windows.html states:
>
> "This page is copied over from the instructions pages for Sage 5.x and
> 6.x.
>
> For SageMath 7.0 and higher, most steps should work but the final steps
> should be adapted to take into account the new default which is to use
> the Jupyter notebook.
>
> Somemeone please adapt the final steps."
>
> -leif
>
> [1] https://wiki.sagemath.org/SageAppliance/SageMath-7

Since Sage 7.0, the SageAppliance launches the Jupyter
notebook, instead of the Sage notebook in previous versions.

When that version came out, the instructions Sage wiki page
had not been updated. Users were somewhat puzzled.

Questions on sage-support and Ask Sage included [2].

[2]
https://ask.sagemath.org/question/32344/vm-virtualbox-sage-70ova-how-to-start/

Seeing that, I decided to split the SageAppliance instructions,
formerly at [3], into three subpages to at least make it clear
which version the instructions were written for.

[3] https://wiki.sagemath.org/SageAppliance/

I wrote the part "someone please adapt the final steps".

The adaptation that is needed in the final steps is to describe
that the SageApplicance now launches the Jupyter notebook
and no longer the Sage notebook. Plus some screenshots.

A page about the various file formats related to Sage,
how to use them, and their relationships, would also be nice.
I created a draft for such a page at [4], feel free to expand
the items there.

[4] https://wiki.sagemath.org/File_formats