> make -B makes all targets (including distclean etc)
> For even more fun, try "sudo rm -f /" next time ;-)

I don't think that's what was happening on my side. Here's what I
have, make repeatedly tries to build build/make/Makefile :

$ ./sage --version
SageMath version 7.4.beta5, Release Date: 2016-09-16
$ make -B build
make build/make/Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/defeo/sage'
make build/make/Makefile
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/defeo/sage'
make build/make/Makefile
make[3]: Entering directory '/home/defeo/sage'
make build/make/Makefile
make[4]: Entering directory '/home/defeo/sage'
make build/make/Makefile
make[5]: Entering directory '/home/defeo/sage'
make build/make/Makefile
make[6]: Entering directory '/home/defeo/sage'
make build/make/Makefile
make[7]: Entering directory '/home/defeo/sage'
make build/make/Makefile
make[8]: Entering directory '/home/defeo/sage'
make build/make/Makefile

and it goes on... it quickly reaches thousands of nested invocations,
only solution is to kill it.

On another machine this fails after exactly 234 invocations. My guess
is that this is dependent on the version of make.

Luca