Ok, I will start working on these issues.  The one I understand the least is
libtool.
It looks like you are saying I should generate a libtool script on the machine
X on which
I create the NTL tarball. But this seems very strange. How could that script be
any better
than one generated/installed on the machine Y where the build is taking place?
Wouldn't it be better to generate libtool on Y?

And why isn't there a libtool command on Y in the first place?
I mean, if you assume the whole autoconf toolchain, why not assume libtool?
Or, is it that maybe there are parts of the toolchain that are X but not Y?

Sorry...I'm not much of an expert on libtool or autoconf.

Another issue. I'm not sure if $(MAKE) is specific to gnu make or if it is
universal.
In general, I don't want to assume gnu. But I can certainly make this the
default,
and provide a config variable to override.