On Tue, 18 Oct 2016, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

Setting (as root) the value of /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory will not help

Are you sure? With vm.overcommit_memory set to "2", the error should happen during allocation.

Yes, I tested that too. Just add print-function before and after the line I sent, and you can see that it will fail in memset(). (But, as said, with different error message.)

I used 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with most recent kernel from Ubuntu packages. This kernel should not have any tweaks.

--
Jori Mäntysalo