On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 12:31:01 PM UTC-7, Martin R wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii from the texinfo team helped me with two problems I had, and
> texinfo documentation is now almost ready to go.  I need help with three
> things, which I report here, because trac is down.
>
> 1.) for some reason, it is necessary that makeinfo is called with
> "--footnote-style separate". However, Sphinx produces makefiles as defined
> by TEXINFO_MAKEFILE, see
> http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/_modules/sphinx/builders/texinfo.html
>
> What is the proper way to change that, and where should I do this?

You might need to patch Sphinx for this, since it doesn't look like that
aspect of Sphinx is customizable. (So patch the linked file as part of
Sage's Sphinx package. I hope that just modifying TEXINFO_MAKEFILE to add
"--footnote-style separate" is good enough.)

> 2.) although (with my one-line patch applied), Sphinx produces all the
> texinfo sources, one has to call make in each directory below
> local/share/doc/sage/texinfo/ afterwards.  What do I have to do so this is
> done when invoking ./sage -docbuild DOCUMENT texinfo?

I think you should have two build targets: "sage --docbuild DOCUMENT
texinfo" which produces texinfo sources, and "sage --docbuild DOCUMENT
info" which produces the actual info files, just like the current situation
with "latex" and "pdf" output types. You would then have to deal with the
"info" case yourself: first invoke the "texinfo" builder and then run
"makeinfo" or "make" or whatever in each appropriate directory. Where are
the info files going to go? $SAGE_ROOT/local/share/info, I assume?

> 3.) building info files requires that makeinfo is installed.  What is the
> proper way to deal with this?

Check whether it's installed in some robust way and don't build the "info"
output type if it's not? What other choice do we have? I don't think we
want an optional "makeinfo" package.

--
John