On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 12:22:37 PM UTC+2, Emmanuel Charpentier
wrote:

> I'm afraid that we don't have much say in the matter : the R core
> development team has choosen to rely on curl, and their build system will
> fail without it. Furthermore, among those 9402 packages, a lot of them may
> have choosen to follow R "guidance" an use CURL.
>
> If we choose to use another library, we are effectively forking R and a
> $#!+load of those packages. Somehow, I doubt that we have the workforce to
> do that credibly...
>
> So, before coming to these extremities, I'd like to explore two avenues :
> Question the R Core Team to know how they reconcile their DPL 2-3 license
> and teir use of OpenSSL, and discuss if we can use the same loophole as
> they did. In which case, all is fine and dandy...

I don't know how much they thought about it, or rather how many lawyers
they did pay, but if they ship binaries including the libcurl and openssl
that might be risky.
Some people invoke the special exception clause of the GPL...
See:
* https://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html
*
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sage-devel/openssl|sort:relevance/sage-devel/mbGbpRz96q0/8nsKRNyLs3oJ

(OpenSSL license issue)
*
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sage-devel/openssl|sort:relevance/sage-devel/Jl11JxIb2E8/-1NrQmjbMKIJ

(why GnuTLS which is GPL is not a drop in replacement

If they rely on the user having its own libcurl and openssl then there is
no problem.