On Tuesday, November 15, 2016, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 2:29:30 PM UTC, Erik Bray wrote:

>> that he
>> with the

>> is%3Aissue%20is%3Aopen%20label%3AI-bug%20sort%3Acreat
>> ed-asc%20-label%3Ablocked

>> explained here:

>> docker/README.md

>> > Click on the link above.  I clicked on sagemath/sage since it is ON
>> > TOP (hence what you find with a typical google search), and it has
>> > vastly more downloads than all other docker Sage images put together.
>> > It's clearly the one people are getting for some reason.
>> >
>> > I then clicked on the sagemath-jupyter one, since -- based on the name
>> > -- I imagine that's the other reasonable choice if a person wants a
>> > web interface... and it is 6 months old.
>> >
>> > Clicking on all of them now, only sagemath/sagemath has been updated
>> > recently.  All others are out of date.

>> > OK.   Who has the power to do that?  Also, I wonder what is driving so
>> > much traffic there?
>>
>> Please see https://github.com/sagemath/docker/issues/4
>> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fsagemath%2Fdocker%2Fissues%2F4&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHTpXG0nMQbI6wwvnbQEGBxSjGf9w>
>>
>> I don't know what's driving so much traffic there, but I need to find
>> a way to *clearly* deprecate it without breaking things for whoever it
>> is that's relying on it.
>

> Oh dear. It seems that the barrier to posting "official" docker images
> is way too low.
> There is also swenson/sage, dieudonne/sage, gissehel/sagemath,
> xuyouwen/sagemath,
> and probably many more sagemath docker images over there, some old, some
> not...
>
> Probably the best way for the time being just post the "latest" image with
> 7.4
> to sagemath/sage (previous images would still available via tags, IMHO)
> so that it is in sync with sagemath/sagemath.
>

>>  Anyways, the docker containers really should
>> be preferred over the VM.  Forcing people on Windows to use a VM is
>> terrible.  I tried to push on this a few months ago but it either
>> wasn't ready or nobody listened.
>>

> The main problem with using VM is setting it properly. AFAIK on Windows
> you still have VM
> in the play, so you basically provide something that is meant to work
> better, right?

I don't know exactly the situation with docket + windows, but Docker on OS
X uses a very lightweight hypervisor and automatically forwards networks
and makes OS X host paths available.  It's pretty damn amazing, and it's
also very new - just out of beta!   They do something very similar for
Windows.

> How about we do some more testing of the sagemath/sagemath image, in
> particular
> on Windows and OSX, and then (if we're happy) advertise it on sagemath.org
> and elsewhere?
>
> Dima

Sent from my massive iPhone 6 plus.