configure.in are certainly a bad indicator. Anything with one
of these instead of configure.ac triggers a warning in gentoo
that support for it will be dropped sooner than later.

In any case what kind of changes do you want to apply, I
may have better luck with my packaging machinery.

François

> On 23/11/2016, at 23:59, Erik Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 10:32:59 AM UTC, Erik Bray wrote:

>>> Well, this is still turning out to be a bust, even using Sage's
>>> autotools package.  I'm trying to reconfigure CDDLIB and its
>>> configure.in is not compatible in many ways with the versions of the
>>> tools it wants to use.  For example, its Makefile.in says it was
>>> generated by automake 1.10.3, so it's trying to use automake 1.10.3
>>> (along the same lines, it's using autoconf 2.63 and libtool 2.2.6b)
>>>
>>> Even if I take the existing source package, without any of my own
>>> changes (but with the patches in the spkg), when I naively try to run
>>> autoreconf I get:
>>>
>>> $ autoreconf  -v -f -i
>>> autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
>>> autoreconf: configure.in: not using Gettext
>>> autoreconf: running: aclocal --force
>>> main::scan_file() called too early to check prototype at
>>> /home/embray/src/sagemath/sage/local/automake-1.10.3/bin/aclocal line
>>> 617.
>>> autoreconf: configure.in: tracing
>>> autoreconf: configure.in: not using Libtool
>>> autoreconf: running:
>>> /home/embray/src/sagemath/sage/local/autoconf-2.69/bin/autoconf
>>> --force
>>> autoreconf: configure.in: not using Autoheader
>>> autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
>>> Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex;
>>> marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ([^ \t=:+{}]+)}/ at
>>> /home/embray/src/sagemath/sage/local/automake-1.10.3/bin/automake line
>>> 3832.
>>> lib-src-gmp/Makefile.am:1: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
>>> lib-src-gmp/Makefile.am:1:   The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to
>>> add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
>>> lib-src-gmp/Makefile.am:1:   to `configure.in' and run `aclocal' and
>>> `autoconf' again.
>>> lib-src-gmp/Makefile.am:1:   If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in
>>> `configure.in', make sure
>>> lib-src-gmp/Makefile.am:1:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
>>> lib-src/Makefile.am:1: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined