On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 5:58:45 PM UTC+1, Pierre wrote:

> -- numpy.int32 or int.64: like "int" initially, but works mod 2^32 or
> 2^64, and gives an overflow warning when it happens. No increase in
> speed, for general reasons which I will just call "overhead" for lack
> of a better understanding. (Still good for numpy functions,
> obviously).

Signed overflow is undefined in C/C++ and not necessarily mod 2^x. I'm
pretty sure that numpy inherits this from C/C++. You must use unsigned
integer types like numpy.uint64 if you rely on overflow behavior.

The overhead is of course the wrapping in a Python object. If that is
limiting your computation then you'll have to work in C/Cython with the
internal integer (machine int or gmp/mpir).