Simon King wrote:
> I didn't closely follow the discussion here. Have there been
> suggestions how Sage should in future distinguish the two meanings of
> comparison (maths vs programming)?

Not in this thread. However, if I understood right, several people who
worked on getting rid of cmp() came to the conclusion that having a
total order on all objects like cmp() used to (sort of!) promise wasn't
that useful.

Yet, it would be nice to standardize a few additional comparison
functions with well-specified semantics. (That's not what I'm trying to
do at the moment, however.)

> It would obviously be rather awkward to have to do "A.is_equal(B)" for
> a mathematical equality test.

It would nevertheless be the best option, IMO, if we were starting from
scratch. But that's not the case.

--
Marc