Hello,

My name is Arpit Merchant and I participated in Google Summer of Code
(GSoC) 2016 with Sage. I had an amazing time and I would love to stay
involved with Sage and GSoC. Will Sage be participating this year for GSoC
2017 too? If so, I think it might be nice to get started soon. The
programme timeline has been released and it can be found here
<https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline>. The application
period for mentoring organizations to submit applications to Google is from
January 19 - February 9.

I attended Sage Days 75 and I met some wonderful members of the Sage
community. During discussions with them, I mentioned that the barrier to
entry for a student to participate in GSoC with Sage is very high and the
resources are relatively scarce. I would like to start by helping with that
and more broadly, stay involved in some or the other capacity throughout
(help with logistics of the GSoC process from the perspective of someone
who participated recently, perhaps even as (an extremely novice) co-mentor
to some project).

I feel it would be helpful to students and mentors to have a streamlined
process and to that end, I am proposing a restructuring of Sage's GSoC
Pages. In particular, I propose two wiki pages, *Sage’s Google Summer of
Code (GSoC) Main Page* (comprehensive) and *GSoC 20XX Ideas Page. *The idea
is that the former remains persistent over the years and only the latter is
created anew. The current main page is here <https://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC>
and
it is not very informative. And last year's Ideas Page
<https://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2016> contained links to the main
documentation, trac, etc. As a student, just setting up Sage to start
contributing was tedious and inaccessible. And I faced a lot of trouble
with understanding the development workflow and navigating Sage code. My
first aim is to simplify all of this. Please take a look at this Google doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DVkzj3q6O5aiEa5Q3waPGu4gfUuhaa4PjiRpWn_1p9Y/edit?usp=sharing>
 which
outlines my ideas on redesigning the GSoC wiki and please do comment with
suggestions, edits, etc. I am volunteering to write most of the sections
(barring some of the sections on Mentors since I do not have an adequate
background for those. I am hoping someone else from the community can
assist in completing those.)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Sincerely,