For the cmp problem, Jeroen as suggested implementing our own cmp function.
Thus, we just add this to the imports of every file that we don't want to
go to rich comparisons (i.e., that needs it), which tries calling __cmp__
then falls back to ordering. This should at least get all of Sage to
compile (when I said this before, I was thinking only of Cython files and
forgot that we actually compile python files [in a different sense]), but
it pushes the problem under the rug.

Best,
Travis

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 11:39:13 AM UTC-6, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

> On 2017-01-19 17:17, William Stein wrote:
> > ... and presumably what we already decided is now completely
> > impossible to implement and banned from Python3?
>
> I don't think we ever decided anything. For Parents, we use Robert
> Bradshaw's implementation from 2008 but it's not documented what it does
> or why it does things that way. For example, there is a doctest
>
> sage: ZZ < QQ
> True
>
> but I doubt that this is the right thing to do.

I thought Frédéric actually removed that test (at my insistence)?

Best,
Travis