On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 4:15:39 PM UTC, Ralf Stephan wrote:

> You are quite right. I extract the roots from the (integer) constant
> coefficient by substitution of its divisors. I will have to think about
> your determinant method. At the moment it makes no sense.

the resultant can be represented as a determinant, with coefficients being
polynomials
with all your variables, except the one you eliminate. I guess most
algorithms
will go about computing the resultant by expanding this determinant.
The latter is the most expensive part, and if it can be avoided, then it
should be avoided.
There is no need to expand the determinant if you just need to see if it's
identically 0
at some point.