On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 2:12:30 PM UTC-8, William wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 5:08 PM, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca <javascript:>>
> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 8:47:40 AM UTC-8, William wrote:
> >>

> >> Basic question: is there any reason whatsoever for us to even have a
> >> pexpect interface to maxima anymore?  Nils Bruin (and others) put a
> >> massive amount of effort into a C library version (using ecl) over the
> >> years...
> >>
> > Not for the use of calculus in sage.
>
> Wow.  Calculus in Sage is nearly the only critical reason we have
> Maxima in Sage; I didn't realize all that C library interface work
> wasn't useful for that.  Oh well.   Thanks for the clarification.  Is
> the issue that Maxima tries to ask questions?
>
> I think you misunderstood my answer. Having a pexpect interface to maxima
is not useful for calculus, because calculus uses the maxima_lib interface.
In some places it is still communicating with maxima_lib through
constructing and parsing strings, pretending that maxima_lib offers a
pexpect interface. Apparently this is not a bottle neck, so people haven't
bothered converting to the more efficient APIs that maxima_lib offers.

The "ask questions" problem doesn't arise: maxima_lib gets monkey-patched
to raise an error instead of expecting the question to be answered.