I recently updated Sage to version 7.5.1 (from the ppa) and although the
behavior is still the same, a new warning message might give us some
insight:

/usr/lib/sagemath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/psutil/_pslinux.py:364:
RuntimeWarning: 'sin' and 'sout' swap memory stats couldn't be determined
and were set to 0 ([Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/vmstat')

Also, I found this <https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1071>,
so maybe the problem is with that WSL does not properly support virtual
memory?