Am 2017-03-08 um 12:37 schrieb Daniel Krenn:
> On 2017-03-08 11:42, Frédéric Chapoton wrote:
>> * step 1A : cythonizing : there remains only a few calls to cmp() that
>> prevents cythonization of our pyx files
>>
>> -- some of them will maybe be handled by ticket #22549, that changes the
>> semantics of equality for real and complex interval fields.
>
> Why do we need to change our semantics of equality when going to
> Python3? (I understand that we need to change the implementation, but
> why the behavior?)

Changing semantics of equality checking involves breaking lots of external codes
and very subtle problems in that other code (simply some other result, this
might be a nightmare to debug).

In my opinion, such an intrusive change requires introduction of a new class
with the new behaviour and deprecation of the old class.

Regards,

Clemens