The coercion model in Sage seems to be designed to allow it to be changed: there is a global object coercion_model defined in element.pyx which can be get/set using get_coercion_model() and set_coercion_model(). So *in theory* it is possible to implement a different coercion model.

However, in practice I think that:
1. There is no need for an alternative coercion model.
2. Many places in Sage assume specific behaviour about the coercion model, so changing it would break lots of things.

So I suggest to drop support for a changable coercion model. One advantage is that we could just import the "coercion_model" global instead of needing to call get_coercion_model() every time. This would lead to cleaner and faster code.

What do you think?

Jeroen.