On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 11:50:53 PM UTC, Nils Bruin wrote:

> On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 3:03:05 PM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>>

>> surely you can do this, but it seems to be harder to certify if a number
>> is zero or not.
>>

> Exactly. That's the idea of Allan's approach: rather than tracking these
> questions in characteristic 0, you do it in a finite field of some (large)
> characteristic. The bet that unequal numbers will have unequal reduction
> modulo your large modulus will almost certainly hold in practice, and if
> you track it carefully you know when it fails. THEN you take the hit, lift
> everything you had to characteristic 0, and use a different modulus. It
> means you basically never have to work with number field representations,
> and certainly not run expensive operations such as reducing lattices of
> algebraic integers.
>
> Tracking real embeddings only involves tracking some mild inequalities
> (which can be refined using newton iteration whenever necessary).

the idea that you don't need irreducible polynomials and/or polynomial
factorisation is behind the line of research described in
"Algorithms in Real Algebraic Geometry
<https://perso.univ-rennes1.fr/marie-francoise.roy/bpr-ed2-posted3.html>"
by Basu, Pollack, and Roy. I have not heard anything about using finite
fields to speed up
what they do (probably because there are no anywhere complete
implementations of algorithms they describe available).

Dima