Not sure either, but I changed the file. Anyway, probably the issue had to
do with the number of open files. I added the following lines in
limits.conf:
root soft nofile 655360
sage soft nofile 655360
root hard nofile 655360
sage hard nofile 655360

(sage is the user owning sage notebooks). After a reboot the 7.6 notebooks
work OK.