On 29 May 2017 07:59, "Ralf Stephan" <gtrw...@gmail.com> wrote:

The case that started me was

sage: a=SR(1/2)
sage: b=SR(3)
sage: %timeit _=a^b
The slowest run took 9.38 times longer than the fastest. This could
mean that an intermediate result is being cached.
100000 loops, best of 3: 2.14 µs per loop
sage: %timeit _=b^a
10000 loops, best of 3: 62.1 µs per loop

but I think I can shortcut

Your example does not use QQbar at all!  It uses SR (Symbolic Ring) which
is quite different.

Python/Cython usage here.
I also wanted to scout the software landscape before any other decisions.