> On 1/06/2017, at 23:27, Kwankyu Lee <ekwan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I also thought about building both py2+3 at the same time, it would be a
> great debugging help during the transition if you can easily run both. Then
> in 3 years we'll just cut out the py2 part and be done with it...
>
> I am thinking of what would be the real benefits, compared with the scheme:
>
> I keep two sage git repos at sage2/ and sage3/ and build sage2/ for python2
> and sage3/ for python3. I fix a problem in python3 built and commit the fix.
> Then I import the commit to the python2 repo and check if the commit does not
> break python2 built.
>
> In the proposed scheme, we would not need to move the commits around. Are
> there other advantages besides this?
>
> And we should consider if these benefits (not yet clear to me) outweigh the
> extra efforts to make sage buildable to run with both python2 and python3.

Actually there has been some work on enabling sage to be built and
installed in a prefix that isn’t under SAGE_ROOT. This is why we now
have sage-env-config.
So you could do a run of configure of sage with python2 and install it
in $prefix_python2 and then do the same for python3 but install it
in $prefix_python3. Out of the same source tree.
Some cleaning may be required between builds, I haven’t actually worked
on the functionality myself.

François