On 2017-06-14 12:36, Erik Bray wrote:
The fact that you put "systems" in quotes I think really gets to what
my question is:  How is "systems" defined in this case?

Essentially, a "system" is any external math package/library that a computation uses. So things like Pynac, MPFR, PARI, Maxima, OpenBLAS, ...

I agree that this is not really objective, for various reasons:

1. Why restrict to "math" packages? We could consider Python, Cython, ECL or CyPari2 to be a "system" too.

2. What about trivial uses? For example, if we ask to list all elements of FiniteField(16), does that really "use" Givaro? Technically, it does but only in a very trivial way.