On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 20:26:51 UTC+2, Johan S. H. Rosenkilde wrote:

> > That's absolutely correct, and a point I make in my blog. One heuristic
> is
> > that GBs tend to have a large number of very small polynomials and so
> one
> > can dispatch larger arithmetic operations to a different back end safely
> > (converting to and from some other format on the fly). This is something
> > Singular already does, I believe.
>
> I guess for a system like Sage it makes sense to use a default backend
> that optimises for fast arithmetic. A GB computation is something one
> expects to be long, so it seems OK to take a small amount of time
> converting to a GB-optimised backend whenever a GB-computation is
> called.

I would personally agree with that. It doesn't make sense for Singular,
since Singular is really dedicated to a particular problem domain where GBs
are almost everything. But Sage is more general purpose.

People probably care more about multivariate gcd and factorisation than
they do about basic arithmetic though, except for very small polynomials.
Having slow arithmetic does make it hard to coopt it for other purposes
though.

Bill.