I agree that startup on a warm cache is mostly a kernel / filesystem ram
cache benchmark. The actual drive hardware is irrelevant, but background
processes hitting the disk cache at the same time do matter. On a warm
cache and without background IO the sage -startuptime (i.e. importing
sage.all) is pretty consistently about 800ms for me. Which I don't think
can be much improved without changing the way how Python imports stuff;
Surely we can still shave off a few tens of ms but thats it.

For server use you should be forking processes from a zygote process, this
is how chrome works.

The only way to fix the import speed on a cold cache with high-latency
drive hardware is to load a single big file (aka database) instead of
thousands of small files. And cache the results of stat calls at build
time, and then use those via a custom importer. But thats a lot of work for
a pretty narrow use case. Its also fragile as the database can easily go
out of sync with the actual filesystem, e.g. when you pip install stuff.