Sun 2017-09-03 20:27:44 UTC-5, Miguel-Angel Manrique:

> 2048MB RAM total, 4 core 64bit processor;  the server was running
> webwork in the background, but no students have access yet.
>
> Building in parallel: no idea but I presume so. I didn't specify the
> number of threads to use during install. I suppose I will try one more
> time, specifying option j1 this time. I use the ww_install script blindly.

Can you add RAM to your computer? A total of 2 GB is very little today.
Building Sage's documentation is especially memory-consuming,
as Jeroen pointed out.

Regarding whether you are building in parallel, you could check
the result of typing

    echo $MAKE

in a terminal.