On 2017-09-04 23:37, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) wrote:
removing it would make a 64-bit Solaris port  more work.

I disagree here. It is very likely that fixes are needed anyway to port Sage to 64-bit Solaris. So if things need to be fixed, we should think of the best way to fix things. The best way is certainly not to edit every single spkg-install file with explicit SAGE64 support. We should think of a simpler solution, which could be for example:
- compile our own GCC which does the right thing
- set environment variables like CFLAGS once for the whole build system