Hi Dear fellow sage-developers,

The question in the subject is related to the discussion in the Patchbot
failures metaticket
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-devel/zuMBYUhdKjA/5hQZ8396DgAJ>
 thread.

I remember that I read (somewhere a long time ago so my memory might be
off) that optional packages where expected to always build and not cause
any doctest failures and pas their own testsuite, because optional packages
were considered to have the same amount of support as sage itself, the main
reason that they are not installed by default is just because not everybody
needs them and installing by default makes the sage install even bigger
then it already is. However I seem to not be able to find this statement
anymore in either one of the places [1][2] where I would expect it. The
fact this level of support does not hold for experimental packages is made
very clear at [3].

So the main questions: do we consider an optional package not building, not
passing it's own testsuite or causing sage to have doctest failures a bug?
In the other thread it was mentioned that patchbot failures should be
considered blocker status defects (at least if the failures is not due to a
buggy patchbot/patchbot on an unsupported platform). Does this also hold
for optional packages?

[1] http://files.sagemath.org/spkg/optional/
[2] https://wiki.sagemath.org/spkg
[3] http://files.sagemath.org/spkg/experimental/