On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 3:40:33 PM UTC-7, Volker Braun wrote:

> On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 9:38:30 PM UTC+2, Nils Bruin wrote:
>>
>> In reality this is increasingly not the case anymore: sage pulls in
>> packages from "Pypi" when installing
>>

> A normal install (i.e. running "make") does not pull packages from pypi.
> Obviously we don't have the resources to security audit every dependency,
> but at least you can be assured that you are installing the same packages
> as when the release was made.

Thank you for correcting me on this! Clearly I was wrong (the fact that we
package pip so that people can use it explicitly themselves is of course
not a "trust" concern here).
Indeed, scanning the build logs suggests that the downloads triggered by
"make build" are all from sagemath.org mirrors. So a concerned sysadmin
would "just" have to inspect the files there.