On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 6:29:46 PM UTC-4, John H Palmieri wrote:

> On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 2:17:10 PM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>>
>> the 1-click openssl install image for OSX is called Xcode, and one can go
>> for a long lunch while waiting for it to finish, even on a fast network...

Oh, but that's not the same thing as "it's sitting on your screen".  Asking
people to install all of Xcode does seem a bit excessive, given that we
currently don't ask people to even install the developer tools unless they
want to do developing (or Cython, probably).

> Apple should pick up the bill for these lunches, and much more, I fully
>> agree.

True.

> But I don't think that Xcode includes the openssl headers. At least I've
> never been able to find them. Plus perhaps their installed versions of
> libssl are outdated? That's what I've heard about their reasons for not
> including the header files.

 And just having headers isn't the same as "it just works" unless they go
in the right place, I suppose.