On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:00 AM, David Loeffler
<d.a.loeff...@warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'd like to request opinions on whether we should get rid of the "Trusted
> Authors" check in the Sage patchbot.
>
> At present, the patchbot won't test a ticket unless all of the names in the
> Trac "Authors" field have had at least one ticket previously merged.
> Presumably the intention of this is to prevent people uploading git branches
> with malicious code that will hijack the patchbot servers. But the "Authors"
> field is a free text field; there's nothing to stop anybody with a trac
> account uploading a git branch with author set to "William Stein", or
> "Mickey Mouse" for that matter. So this feature provides zero actual
> security against attacks, and only serves to make life more difficult for
> legitimate users -- and, worse still, it specifically targets new
> contributors who we want at all costs to encourage.
>
> So I would advocate getting rid of the "Trust" feature -- or at least
> adjusting it so it runs the ticket if any of the authors are trusted (rather
> than all of them). What do others here think of this idea?
>
> (I spotted this while reviewing ticket 19169, where the authors are a group
> of first-time Sage contributors from Sage Days 69 in 2015. The ticket has
> been languishing in needs-review purgatory for most of the intervening 2
> years, and the fact that it didn't have a green light from the patchbot
> probably contributed to that.)

+1 please consider opening an issue at https://github.com/sagemath/sage-patchbot

I believe it's already possible to configure a patchbot to allow
"untrusted" authors, but it's not the default.  You're right that the
"feature" makes no sense.

The only way to run a patchbot anything remotely "securely" is to be
running it on an isolated VM.  A lot of the other defaults for the
patchbot (such as not testing package updates) are similarly false
security, as we discussed here a few days ago.

Erik