Dear Sage developers,

Sagenb had a very nice feature: the live documentation where you could
try the examples right where they were displayed. In #20690 we had a
first stab at implementing an equivalent feature using Thebe: a
Jupyter based javascript library -- similar in spirit to the sage cell
server -- that lets one include live code in any static web page. Alas
the implementation of Thebe was not sustainable and indeed it was not
long before our live documentation broke.

Now to the good news: Min Ragan Kelley reimplemented Thebe as a thin
library on top of Jupyter Lab -- making it sustainable -- and we had a
sprint with Sebastian Gutsche to use (and improve) Thebe to get live
documentation for GAP, Singular, and SageMath. For the SageMath part
and further details:

        https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/24593 (needs review!)

This now just requires a dozen lines of Sphinx configuration -- and an
internet connection for the reader. The computations are run on
mybinder, using SageMath's docker container.

To see some live documentation in action:

http://sage-package.readthedocs.io/en/latest/sage_package/sphinx-demo.html

For authors of packages based on Sage: it's straightforward to setup
the same feature for your documentation. For example by using
sage-package: https://github.com/sagemath/sage-package

Cheers,
                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/