On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 10:53:40 PM UTC, Harald Helfgott wrote:

> Hi Samuel,
>
> >I would recommend the following before proceeding with the installation:
> >
> >    sudo apt full-upgrade
> >   sudo apt-get install binutils gcc g++ gfortran make m4 perl tar \
> >    git openssl libssl-dev texlive dvipng ffmpeg imagemagick tk tk-dev
>
> Thanks for this! I just did as much, and sagemath v8.1 (the version I had
> installed in binary from a repository) magically started to work.
>
> Just out of curiosity: why would it not have worked before? Should I keep
> my eyes open for other misbehavior?

It would be good to know the output of this now:

$ ldd /usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.4/cc1

In your previous message it had lines

    libmpfr.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmpfr.so.4
(0x00007fcb73c96000)
    libmpfr.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmpfr.so.6
(0x00007fcb72c3e000)

which looks like a library conflict (I suppose that's what Francois
referred to " the compiler is in a broken state at the system level")

Perhaps it got fixed by your call to apt-get (and if not, it's still means
a broken gcc toolchain).