First of all, we should ensure that no new trailing whitespace is added. Otherwise, your effort is futile. The recently added file src/sage/rings/valuation/valuation_space.py is a bad example.

I recall that we had a discussion about autogenerated patchbombs not so long ago. I think it's a bad idea because it can potentially generate a lot of silly merge conflicts. Why not remove it as part of the usual workflow, for example when refactoring something anyway? I generally don't mind if a ticket makes a bunch of whitespace changes (as long as it's not dominating the diff).

By the way, the situation is not too bad: only 19 files have 20 or more lines with trailing whitespace. One file that stands out is functions/piecewise_old.py with 244 lines.