Hi all,

Allow me to jump in the discussion as a daily "Sage user" of code using the
ppl backend in the Polyhedron class.
I put the "Sage user" in quotes, because it seems that it was used for
different types of users.

What's in for the normal strictly routine not-developing user?

Well, IMHO more transparency about libraries used. Basically, I just
figured out where the wrapper for ppl was(!).
Ok, perhaps I'm ignorant or stupid; but to me, it seems like making pplpy
and gmpy2 standard packages
is not a revolutionary idea that is going to break everything, or is it?
Further,

- no Standard Sage user is asked to know or use gmpy2 or pplpy.
>    These are respectively used as gmp data transition and backend
>    for polyhedra

Further, I believe that the strictly routine not-developing user will not
notice the difference as the vast majority
(of the users of sage that I know) are not even aware that there is such a
thing as a "python integer" and a
"Sage integer" and they keep on using Sage despite some of its
incongruities. So if we speak of those users,
I can not really see how any smelly unpleasantness would be laid down on
their heads by making ppl available
through a standard library as opposed to being Cython wrapped.

I am aware that I do not have a full overview of the changes implied by
making the transition smooth, but since I felt
concerned as an indirect daily user of ppl, I wanted to express my opinion
on the matter:

Propose to replace `sage.libs.ppl` by the standalone pplpy
> <https://github.com/videlec/pplpy/>. This require to have pplpy as a
> standard package.

As pplpy use gmpy2 the latter should be stantard too.

+1

As Vincent pointed out:

- pplpy currently includes more ppl features than sage.libs.ppl

and could always be improved by a larger user/developer base being a
python2&3 package.

Jean-Philippe