Hi Simon, hi Erik,

Le mardi 27 mars 2018 21:09:08 UTC+2, Simon King a écrit :

> Hi Erik,
>
> On 2018-03-27, Erik Bray <erik....@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > What about adding an optional argument to the is_prime()
> > method--something like a.is_prime(as_element_of=ZZ).  It's kind of a
> > wordy (though I'm sure there's a more succinct spelling) way to write
> > ZZ(a).is_prime() but at least it's still precise about what you're
> > asking.
>
> I don't think it'd be a good idea. Reason: What should be the default
> value of "as_element_of"? Should it be the parent of "a"? But then, you
> immediately have the same problem as we have now, which is the
> surprising (to some) fact that (3/1).is_prime() returns False. And the
> work-around
>   (3/1).is_prime(as_element_of=ZZ)
> would be more verbous than
>   ZZ(3/1).is_prime()
>
> Best regards,
> Simon

Why not introducing a different function, is_prime_integer() say, keeping
is_prime() as it is now?
Of course, x.is_prime_integer(), or is_prime_integer(x), would return
ZZ(x).is_prime().
Then, for the casual user, we should advertise (in examples, tutorials,
etc.) the use of is_prime_integer() over is_prime().
Note that the casual user may discover is_prime_integer() by the standard
TAB mechanism, since its name starts by "is_prime". Facing the choice
between the two functions, he would probably (hopefully?)  opt for
is_prime_integer(), which is self-explanatory.

Best regards,

Eric.