On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 18:03:48 UTC-6, saad khalid wrote:

> Why not assume by default that when someone enters a floating point
> number, they intend it as a member of QQ, at least in this case.

It may be an interesting option to have similar to "automatic_names". It
may also be nice to be able to do computations over QQ, but display results
as floats of some not very high precision. When I was teaching the simplex
method, it was a bit tricky to choose between exact computations with scary
looking (for students ;-)) denominators where it is hard to compare two
numbers in your head, or inexact computations where you have to feel when a
non-zero is actually zero. But I definitely would not want to have either
conversion a silent default.