On 27/03/2018 20:54, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
On 03/27/2018 12:22 PM, William Stein wrote:

There are similar examples in MATLAB, involving rational numbers,
implicit floating point, etc.

Does multiplication by a positive scalar change the rank of a matrix?
Can two equal matrices have different ranks?

(I'm willing to entertain the idea that we should give the wrong answer
because MATLAB does too.)

Anyway the rank of a floating point matrix is a bad notion. See also my
answer here for the computation of the "kernel"

https://ask.sagemath.org/question/41456/cant-find-matrix-kernel

Another example is the recent thread on sage-devel about p-adic matrices.

I don't think that we should have the same base class for matrix over
exact rings and non-exact ones. But this is drifting away from the
initial thread.

Vincent