-pthread like -openmp should always be the right option to use. gcc/g++ and
other
are compiler drivers (the real compilers are cc1/cc1++) and those switches
tells
the driver to set everything right for compiling and linking with these
features.

That’s the theory at least. Do you have an example where -pthread at linking
time doesn’t do its job? The -lpthread could be just someone not understanding
the feature, after all, there is a libpthread.

François