On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 1:21 AM Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:

> On 08/10/2018 11:50 AM, Erik Bray wrote:
> >>
> >> While we are at it: it would be awesome if installation of this
> >> package after upgrade was faster. "Installation" just means unpacking
> >> files and copying them somewhere, but it takes something like 45
> >> minutes. Some time ago I asked to use parallel decompressor if it is
> >> available in the system, which helped a lot, but then it stopped again.

> > That said, I don't believe it should really be a Sage package in the
> > first place.
>
> If anything, it should be a standalone (system) package. We could then
> point sage at the pile of data with a ./configure flag. No need to
> "upgrade" the sage copy of the same stuff every time.

I'm not sure what you mean in this case by "system package".  As I see
it it's just a bunch of files that could be unpacked anywhere, and any
code that uses it could be pointed to it with an argument and/or
environment variable, perhaps with a sensible default (in fact, this
is more or less what's already done, and the packaging as an "spkg" is
just a convenience to make sure it's unpacked automatically to the
correct default location).

I'm not even against it remaining as a new-style spkg; it would just
have to be repackaged as a .tar.<whatever compression works best>, and
we would need to make sure that sage-download-file can find files
under http://files.sagemath.org/spkg/huge/