Isn't that just the normal message when running `sage -sh`?

I never even read it that closely. Why *does* it say that? I install
packages and run make from within the sage subshell all the time.
Especially when it comes to optional packages (which should maybe be the
only kind actually supported by sage -i) there should be little danger.

The only danger is if you somehow break the python in Sage. I've actually
been thinking about that lately and I don't think it should ever be used by
sage_bootstrap. I think it should always try to find the system Python
instead.