sage: V = libgap.GF(13)^500
sage: S = V.Subspaces(50)
sage: S.List()
gap: cannot extend the workspace any more!

As expected the computation runs out of memory. However, there is still a
lot of unused memory.

Before:

                      total        used        free      shared
buff/cache   available
Mem:            15G        1.8G         11G        290M        2.3G
13G
Swap:           39G          0B         39G

Right before termination

Mem:            15G        5.7G        7.6G        287M        2.3G
9.2G
Swap:           39G          0B         39G

After
                     total        used        free      shared
buff/cache   available
Mem:            15G        1.6G         11G        287M        2.3G
13G
Swap:           39G          0B         39G

In
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sage-support/m6R8_NKepyQ
it is suggested to increase the swap space.
However with 40 GB of swap I can only use about 4GB.
On a different machine with 64 GB of swap I can use about 8 GB.
However assigning more swap is impossible as I start to run out of hard
disk space.
Can you reproduce this behavior? Suggestions?