On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 4:11 PM Erik Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> full-time developers) to small one-off grants such as limited
> development efforts, events (e.g. sponsoring a SageDays), or
> purchasing hardware and other computing resources (a major need for
> Sage).
>

> # How do we become affiliated?
>
> There are two broad types of project membership in NumFOCUS:
> "sponsored projects" [4] and "affiliated projects" [5].  The
> difference, as I understand it, comes mostly down to level of
> financial support.
>
> To become an affiliated project we would have to meet only a subset of
> the requirements for sponsored projects, which I believe Sage could
> meet pretty easily.  However, it comes with no guaranteed financial
> support.  But it *does* allow us to apply for small, one-off grants
> for Sage (e.g. Astropy won a small grant once to purchase some
> Mac-mini build machines).
>
> For sponsored projects there is more obligation, and they fall under
> two sub-categories: "Comprehensive Model" and "Grantor-Grantee Model".
>
> Under the "Comprehensive Model", NumFOCUS would basically become the
> sole entity handling legal and fiduciary responsibilities for the
> project.  Basically it becomes like our legal guardian.  I don't
> believe that would be appropriate at this time for Sage, especially
> given that we already have the SageMath Foundation in such a role.
> Though it's a possibility if we ever lose that (e.g. we lose William
> Stein, or William loses UW).
>
> Under the "Grantor-Grantee Model" we would be straight up applying for
> a grant with some specific purpose and funding target.  This comes
> with the usual responsibilities of being a grantee, such as using the
> funds for the purposes they were requested, and making regular reports
> to the grantor, etc.  In Sage's case, if we did something like this,
> NumFOCUS would likely pay money to the SageMath Foundation, which
> would then be responsible for its dispersal and tax liabilities, etc.
>
> This might be useful, especially if we can come up with some concrete
> goals for a grant application.  It could be something as simple as
> funding development time.  Sage right now only has one former "role"
> as far as I know, which is release manager.  And it's a lot of work
> and responsibility, which we might be able to get some part-time
> funding for to keep it worthwhile for the release manager (i.e.
> Volker).  Another possibility might be concrete plans for development
> of new features in Sage, such as much-needed improvements for
> undergraduate math.  I'm just throwing some ideas out here to get the
> mental gears turning--we can discuss that more on the mailing list.
>
> For starters, I think as a bare minimum, we should apply to make Sage
> an affiliated project.  It's not clear to me if we can "upgrade" from
> an affiliated project to a sponsored project at a later time.  I can't
> imagine why not, but it might also be something worth getting

I think we should go for a sponsored project.
I'd be glad to help to set it up, if you leave me out of handling the CoC thing.

I'm grateful to William for putting me forward to co-lead this formally, but
it certainly (also) needs people with much better-looking jobs part of
the CVs than what I have (I do not know how I will be funded after ODK
finishes in about one year time - the only
"permanent" job I have is a part-time college lectureship
(teaching-only, that is))
How about some high caliber Sage users/devs in the States, e.g. Kiran?

Dima