On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:08 PM Daniel Krenn <kr...@aon.at> wrote:
> we have
>
> sage: C.<z> = CyclotomicField(60)
> sage: abs(z)
> 1.00000000000000
> sage: abs(z).parent()
> Real Field with 53 bits of precision
>
> What is the reason, why this returns an inexact result and not something
> in an exact ring like QQbar?

certainly for any cyclotomic number a+ib one can compute its complex
conjugate a-ib exactly, and thus
the square a^2+b^2 of its abs() exactly.

IMHO this won't work for a general algebraic number, as you'd need to
know its embeddings into complex numbers,
something that's not readily available.

Disclaimer: I am not a computational number theorist, and am puzzled
by all this. What's the computational complexity
status of this question, computing the square of abs() of a algebraic number?

Dima