Thanks. I actually decided to go ahead and build from source. It's a good
excuse to get the latest stable version and avoids permissions issues when
adding optional components --- I can install in a directory owned by a
normal user.

Perhaps in future, optional packages could be made available via the
distribution package manager? I think this is how TeX Live works on
Debian/Ubuntu. There are a number of packages which group together optional
TeX Live components, such as fonts.