On 2018-11-22 18:45, 'Martin R' via sage-devel wrote:
1) would it be easy and desirable to make the patchbots run tests in
random order?

Easy: yes
Desirable: no, it would create a lot of doctest failures

2) concerning https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/26586, is it desirable to
define comparison for `CartesianProduct`?

Absolutely. If you do that, you should open a new ticket.

3) at first I thought that it is good practise to sort output whose
order is essentially random

I agree.

5) would it be a good idea to have `__repr__` use a "sorted output" for
objects that are sets from a mathematical perspective?

I would say yes, but this wouldn't really solve the problem since the function returns a list, which is not sorted.

It's important to note that such sorting should be restricted to __repr__. For example, the method Poset.upper_covers() should not sort, for 2 reasons:

(a) not all objects can be sorted, this is in particular a problem in Python 3 (see graphs for a bad example)
(b) performance: most of the time, you don't care about ordering