I think the git reset way is conceptually the easiest, just combine it with
cherrypick if needed:

git reset --hard [last-good-sha1]    # go back in history
git cherry-pick [sha1-of-commit-to-add]    # apply commit that you want to
preserve
... repeat as needed ...
git push --force    # overwrite whats on the remote