Hi Eric,

Le 11/02/2019 à 22:16, Eric Gourgoulhon a écrit :
Hi Vincent,

Le lundi 11 février 2019 21:22:45 UTC+1, vdelecroix a écrit :

Dear all,

Short answer: this poll is not legitimate

Long answer: Saying that the rendering on nbviewer.jupyter.org
or mybinder.org is broken because of "online=False" is a
shortcut in any real explanation of the problem (even though
setting "online=True" makes it work). A vote without any detailed
explanation of the problem makes no sense to me.

Sorry for the lack of explanation: the "online" option is described here:
http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/reference/plot3d/threejs.html
It says:
online – (default: False) Boolean determining whether the local standard
package files are replaced by links to an online content delivery network

Basically, threejs needs two javascript files to run: three.min.js and
OrbitControls.js
If online=False (the current default), it searches for them in
SAGE_HOME/local/share/threejs
which is not available to nbviewer, nor to binder.
If online=True, the files are downloaded from
https://cdn.rawgit.com/mrdoob/three.js
(cf. lines 751-752 of src/sage/repl/rich_output/display_manager.py)

Thanks!

If the files are available locally, then it is a very reasonable default
to have online=False. Why neither nbviewer nor binder are able to find
(or serve or ?) these javascript files? This is precisely what needs an
explanation here.

Vincent

Eric.

Vincent

PS: I also disapprove any automatic internet connection without
my explicit consent. But I feel like this is secondary here.