Thanks John. Unfortunately, zlib and python 2 and 3 compile then then make
fails again on pip-18.1.
I tried a couple of different variations on this but it always ended up at
the same place.

What else should I look for? Is make distclean the best way to get back to
a clean install? It's not unlikely that I have something borked things up.

Andrew